Friday 14 May 2010

HOWDY DOODY




By Richard Jay Parker


Somebody asked me recently what was the most surprising thing about being a published author. Without doubt it's how I've been knocked sideways by the generosity of readers who really have no reason to be in any way interested in my work.


Over the past year I've exchanged Tweets, emails and Facebook messages with so many passionate readers that I would never have come into contact with. They read my book and tell me exactly what they think of it and it's been the most valuable learning experience I've had since STOP ME was published.


Of course, everyone is looking for different elements within a book. Some want a breakneck plot others want to know a character inside out and it's a dificult balancing act between the two. But every reader comment I get is valued - positive or negative.


There's a couple of immediate dates coming up where I hope to meet more readers. I'm on several panels at CRIMEFEST next weekend as member of The Curzon Group and as a young punk (details here).


Then on the 2nd June I'll be on a panel with Leigh Russell Matt Lynn and Tom Cain at Sheperd's Bush Library (details here - tickets are free).


I look forward to putting some faces to familiar names.


Happy weekend.


4 comments:

  1. Richard,
    I hope you enjoy the CRIMEFEST and you find the opportunity to meet some of your readers.

    I don't live in UK. Therefore it is a bit far away for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for swinging by. Hope to meet you at some point in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard,
    Would be nice to meet you. But I would like to read your book before. Therefore I checked and changed my order list for July 2010. That means I will order STOP ME in July and read it as part of my summer reading list. I read crime stories from time to time. Even I review mostly fantasy I decided to review STOP ME. I will let you know when I post it. Pleas don't get me wrong, I don't want to butter you up. I like to read and I like to have contact with authors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ediFanoB.

    Am very pleased to be on your summer reading list.

    Looking forward to hearing what you think of STOP ME.

    ReplyDelete