Monday 15 February 2010

Living the Dream

If anyone had told me two years ago that I'd be sitting at my desk as a published author right now, I would have been very excited at the prospect. The past eight months have been an amazing experience for me, since CUT SHORT came out. Fortunately, CUT SHORT has sold exceptionally well, and has received excellent reviews. Recent ones include a gentleman who advised readers to "Buy this book. Steal it. Whatever you do, read it" and a lady who praised me for "going for the jugular."

So far so lucky.

Handing over ROAD CLOSED for printing is rather different. Yes, I was nervous about the publication of CUT SHORT, but that was a quick peek over the parapet. No one knew about it. I could duck down into anonymity again, hiding behind a pseudonym. With ROAD CLOSED, I have a host of fans with expectations. What makes it more daunting is that I no longer have the excuse of being a debut author, with its connotations of innocence, naivete and youth (ha!)

Yes, I'm living the dream. Yes, it's gone about as well as it could so far... and now my head is well and truly above the parapet.

No going back now.

So here I am, blogging and tweeting, emailing and linking, anything to avoid dotting the last i and crossing the final t of ROAD CLOSED so it can be handed over for printing.

Am I nervous? Who, me? No way. I'm not nervous... I'm terrified.

Leigh Russell

2 comments:

  1. I was at the terrified stage (was? still am). I'm not even published. Now I find out expectations raise the bar. Smiling. I guess I have to be at the top of my game.

    And I believe you will be at the top of yours. You don't get this far without some guts. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Expectations raise the bar - I hope I can make that leap... ! But you're right, Indigo. I will be brave...

    ReplyDelete